EDP were commissioned to assist Western Power Distribution (WPD) with proposals to install a 23km 66kV grid connection between the consented Garreg Lwyd Hill windfarm, and the existing electricity distribution network at Knighton substation, Powys, mid-Wales.
The grid connection comprises overhead and cabled (subterranean) components. It is situated in a remote landscape that transitions from semi-urban to upland agricultural land.
EDP provided a complete technical service throughout the entire project life cycle from route design to installation. This included securing the necessary principal and secondary environmental consents, and supervising on-site environmental mitigation during construction.
Novel and pragmatic solutions, involving a large multi-disciplinary project team, were required to address unforeseeable project issues that arose.
Specifically, EDP undertook a lead role in the following activities:
• Environmental constraints mapping and route options appraisal;
• Detailed environmental surveys;
• Site visits and consultation with Natural Resources Wales, Cadw, and Powys County Council;
• Obtaining Section 37 consent from the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DEEC) for two overhead sections;
• Obtaining Scheduled Monument Consent and a protected species licence;
• Obtaining Hedgerow Removal Consent and Ordinary Watercourse Crossing Consents; and
• Design and implementation of environmental mitigation, supervised by a Clerk of Works.
EDP also attended several public exhibitions.
The project was one of the largest and most challenging projects undertaken by EDP and WPD, with a complex project history. EDP’s work ensured that significant environmental effects were avoided/minimised and ensured that WPD was able to successfully meet its obligations as a responsible statutory undertaker.
The grid connection is installed and was energised in March 2017.
The Bonded Warehouse
Cardiff CF10 4HF
Barnsley Park Estate
Gloucestershire GL7 5EG
Sansaw Business Park
Shropshire SY4 4AS
The Environmental Dimension Partnership Ltd. Registered as a Limited Company in England and Wales. Company No. 09102431.
© The Environmental Dimension Partnership 2017